More interesting things to do and see within easy reach of Ilmington
There is a wealth of National Trust Properties within easy driving distance of Sansome House Cottage as well as many other places of historical, artistic or social significance. See the section on houses, castles and gardens for details of nearby properties. There are many Cotswold villages in the area to explore and I have put some links below but you will also find links under other headings such as theatres, what's on etc.
- The Burford Garden Company - This wonderful, enormous shop on the outskirts of the delightful town of Burford (an interesting town to explore) is a great place to find the perfect present that you will NOT find easily on the High Street.
- The Warwickshire Centenary Way - Walking Trail - This trail of approx. 100 miles runs from Kingsbury Water Park in the North to Upper Quinton in the South connecting at both ends with the Heart of England Way. At its southern end it passes through the historic town of Shipston on Stour and on to ILMINGTON before joining the Heart of England Way at Upper Quinton.
- The Cotswold Way - The Cotswold Way which goes all the way to Bath starts at Chipping Campden (4 miles away). Two articles have appeared in Spring 2012 edition of the magazines, 'Walk' and 'The Great Outdoors', detailing quite long walks (11 miles) from the cottage (the journalist stayed there) and I leave these plans there for the fitter guest!
- If you want to hire bicycles there are several companies offering these nearby e.g. Cycle Hire
Some websites for villages and towns in the area:
- Website for Chipping Campden Four miles away and easily walked, mostly across fields if you are keen hikers. There are some good lunch and tea places as well as interesting buildings and of course shopping.
- Website for Shipston on Stour Very much a 'real' old market town (albeit, now without a market except on special event days e.g. the French Market) with a very good assortment of shops.
- Cheltenham Home of the famous Cheltenham Racecourse as well as being an attractive spa town with excellent shopping.
- Stow on the Wold - 12 miles from the cottage. Allegedly, the coldest place in the Cotswolds so be prepared if it is winter! But a very nice town to visit.
- Bourton on the Water - A village rich in attractions, Model Village, Birdland, Motor Museum etc. but also much visited by tourists! Get there very early or later on the day to avoid the tour buses.
- Cadbury World - 40 minutes drive from the cottage but worth it for the chocolate lovers! Note Purple Thursdays where they offer '2 for 1' deal.
- The Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon - See the website for special activities.
- The Red Lion, Ilmington serves the famous Old Hooky beer. This has recently changed hands.
- The Howard Arms, Ilmington - A pub with a very nice atmosphere and a roaring open fire on cold days. Award winning for its food. Serves lunch and dinner and has evenings of musical entertainment from time to time. On fine days/evenings you can sit at tables in the garden.
- Armscote Manor Lecture Series - Armscote Manor is home to several fund-raising projects throughout the year in aid of Shipston Home Nursing. This local charity provides home-based palliative care for the terminally ill who wish to remain at home in their last few months. There is a lecture series, mainly with a gardening theme, in the Autumn. A tulip bulb, Tulipa Armscote specially bred in Holland, producing a very attractive frill-edged white flower as well as frost-resistant planting pots made by the Whichford Pottery are also sold in aid of the charity.
- If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Dublin and you are only 2 people, look no further than here:
- The cottage is also advertised on theholidaylet.com
- Also on a website which really are all owner run rentals Direct Holiday Cottages
Holiday lettings and vacation rentals direct from the owners, find properties to rent, from luxury apartments, guest houses, villas & condos worldwide...
- To check out other Owner run cottages and small hotels and B and B's in the United Kingdom and France, why not join this Facebook group? It is a closed group in order to keep out spammers and open to holidaymakers and committed owners alike. We are a group of owners who are trying to move away from the big listing sites and commission/booking charges. We strive to look after our guests to give them the best of holidays and help them any way we can, both before and during their holiday. We don't have hidden booking charges. Stay at Sansome House Cottage of course but give these others a try for different parts of the country, or in France!